Dear Members and Guests,
Welcome to the Oxford and Cambridge Society Malaysia’s website! We’re pleased that you have taken some time to connect with us and we hope to see you at one of our events or participating in one of our many projects.
2019 was a challenging time for events as speakers from Oxford and Cambridge universities cancelled trips out to Asia as the COVID-19 outbreak began to spread. The popularity of large scale events began to wane and we discussed launching a YouTube channel to assist in connecting speakers with our members. We were, however, able to host some key outreach events such as
- Oxford freshers departure drinks
- Cambridge freshers departure drinks
- CUMaS and OUMC Outreach events at KTJ and Sunway University
- Oxbridge & KTJ Moot
- Oxbridge & KTJ Engineering Workshop
- Oxbridge & KTJ Debating Forum
As the MCO came into operation, we were well set to be able to launch our new Oxford and Cambridge Society Malaysia YouTube channel. This has several aspects to it.
- Webinars with speakers. In the first three weeks alone we hosted speakers such as Professor Jomo, Dr Azly Rahman, Dato’ Seri Anwar Ibrahim as well as industry experts such as Dr Usha Rani George and Dr Tan Lian Huat from the Sunway Medical Centre, George Koshy from EY and Chin Han Lim from Towers Watson. These are streamed live and then published on our channel.
- Recorded interviews on a range of educational related subjects. In the first three weeks we published interviews with guests such as with Professor Dr Gerry Bodeker on the Global Wellness Institute’s work on mental wellbeing, with Mark Disney on student engagement during MCOs, and Devina Sivagurunathan on studying in the UK.
- Outreach collaboration with CUMaS and OUMC to inform and engage with bright young Malaysians who are thinking of applying to Oxford or Cambridge.
- Videos of our other events such as the Oxbridge & KTJ suite of events and the Sunway English Language Event, and Sunway Essay Writing Competition.
Outreach is an important part of our work and we are always keen to encourage educational development in Malaysia. In addition to the long established Oxbridge & KTJ, Sunway University, and CUMaS and OUMC events mentioned above, this year we have also added three more projects.
- Academic Exploration Competition for students in Malaysia doing SPM, STPM, IGCSE and AS level or equivalent. This has 3 categories: STEM Build a Solution; Humanities essay; and app development.
- Collaboration with Project Impianku Destinasiku (Project ID), an education social enterprise founded and run by Teach For Malaysia to cultivate student leadership, primarily among underprivileged Form 4 and Form 5 students.
- Formation of a Grants Committee and allocation of funds to enable Malaysians to undertake worthwhile academic research and projects.
In our 60 year history, we have evolved and grown in many ways. However, one aspect that has always been an ever present feature of our Society has been the Annual Boat Race Ball. We hope that some time in the next year or so we will all once again be able to meet in person and be able to celebrate our Diamond anniversary in typical Oxbridge style!
Until then, we hope to see you online in our webinars, in views on our YouTube channel, or in collaboration with our team on one of our worthwhile projects.
Thank you to the many organisations that partner with us. Events are so much more effective because of our key collaboration with Sunway Educational Group, Kolej Tuanku Ja’afar, MABECS, The Institute of Engineering and Technology, Science Bridge Academy, Aeste, Teach for Malaysia, Closing the Gap, CUMaS and OUMC.
Finally, thank you to all the Exco team of 2019-20! Each member of our team brings something different, special and utterly indispensable and I am truly thankful to this amazing group of people for their energy and commitment to making this Society a success for our members and our wider Malaysian community.
We are always keen to reach out to alumni and would love to hear your ideas or comments for better engagement and interaction – please do email me at [email protected].
I hope you all remain healthy and active! Keep developing your neuroplasticity!
See you soon!